A cryptocurrency is a virtual currency that uses strong cryptography and guarantees secure financial transactions. The decentralized control of each cryptocurrency works through distributed ledger technology that serves as a database of public financial transactions. The first 10 cryptocurrencies for market capitalization are:
1. BITCOIN- Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, a form of electronic money. It is a decentralized digital currency without a central bank or a single administrator that can be sent from user to user on the peer-to-peer Bitcoin network without the need for intermediaries. It was developed by Satoshi Nakamoto and was released as open source. Bitcoins are created as a reward for a process called mining. Bitcoin has been criticized for its use in illegal transactions, its high electricity consumption, price volatility, trade theft and the possibility that bitcoin is an economic bubble. Currently, bitcoin market capitalization is $ 64,140,847,078 (at the time of writing).
2. RIPPLE (XRP) – Ripple is a real-time gross settlement system, a change and remittance network created by Ripple Labs Inc. Ripple aims to enable "secure, instant and almost free global financial transactions of any size without chargeback". Ripple is based on a commonly shared ledger, which is a distributed database that stores information on all Ripple accounts. Currently, Ripple's market capitalization is $ 13,553,207,415 (at the time of writing).
3. ETHEREUM- Ether is a cryptocurrency whose blockchain is generated by the Ethereum platform. The ether can be transferred between account and used to compensate for participating mining nodes for the calculations performed. Ethereum was proposed at the end of 2013 by Vitalik Buterin, researcher and cryptocurrency programmer. The system became operational on 30 July 2015, with 72 million "premise" coins. This represents approximately 70 percent of the total current offering in 2018. Currently, Ether's market capitalization is $ 13,239,604,566 (at the time of writing).
4. BITCOIN CASH- Bitcoin Cash is a cryptocurrency and a payment network. In relation to the bitcoin, it is characterized variously as a spin-off, a filament, a product of a hard fork, a branch, a clone, a second version or an altcoin. The name of Bitcoin Cash is controversial; sometimes it is referred to as Bcash. Currently, the market capitalization of Bitcoin Cash is $ 2,373,018,355 (at the time of writing).
5. EOS.IO- EOS.IO is a blockchain protocol powered by the native EOS cryptocurrency. The protocol emulates most of the attributes of a real computer that includes hardware (CPU (s) and GPU (s) for processing, local memory / RAM, hard disk storage) with distributed computing resources equally between the holders of EOS cryptocurrencies. Currently, the market capitalization of EOS.IO is $ 2,202,994,582 (at the time of writing).
6. STAR- Stellar is an open source and decentralized protocol for converting the digital currency into legal currency that allows transnational transactions between any currency pair. The Stellar protocol is supported by a non-profit, the Stellar Development Foundation. Currently, Stellar's market capitalization is $ 2,042,776,266 (at the time of writing).
7. TETHER- Tether is a controversial cryptocurrency with tokens issued by Tether Limited, which states that every token issued is backed by a US dollar although they can not be redeemed necessarily through the Tether platform. The Tether is called stablecoin because it is designed to always be worth $ 1.00. Currently, the market capitalization is $ 1,968,157,051 (at the time of writing).
8. LITECOIN- Litecoin is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency and an open-source software project released under the MIT / X11 license. The creation and transfer of coins are based on an open source cryptographic protocol and are not managed by any central authority. Litecoin was a spin-off or a Bitcoin mess, starting in October 2011. Currently, market capitalization is $ 1,937,516.315.
9. TRON- Tron will work in the same way that other content networks work: creators produce content and consumers buy them. Other applications can be built and exploit the same resources, and the value of TRX depends in part on the execution of the code within the Tron network. Currently, the market capitalization of TRON is $ 1,576,802,584 (at the time of writing).
10. BITCOIN SV- Bitcoin SV (Bitcoin Satoshi Vision), The stated goal of the project is to realize the alleged vision of Craig Wright declaring Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of bitcoin. However, these statements are not reliable due to the lack of proof of knowledge of the private keys that control the first bitcoins. Bitcoin SV is considered a useless currency by many killing enthusiasts. Currently, the market capitalization of Bitcoin SV is $ 1,471,817,930 (at the time of writing).