Home / Coin Payment / The launch of Ethereum Constantinople will take place in February 2019

The launch of Ethereum Constantinople will take place in February 2019

According to a Confirm Twitter from the Ethereum team, Peter Szilagyi, the core developers of Ethereum (ETH) have proposed that Constantinople, a system-wide update that was to be released on January 17, has been postponed to the end of February. The tweet said that the hard drive, which will be released on block 7, 280,000, will be available from February 27, 2019.

Ethereum Constantinople

Constantinople and reduced fees for transactions

Constantinople contains various proposals for improvement of Ethereum (EIP) created to facilitate the transition from the current proof-of-work (PoW) to the proof-of-stake (PoS) consent algorithm, which turned out to be more efficient from an energy point of view. Prior to the introduction of Constantinople, the ETH network should ideally load 5,000 gas for storage operations, which is much more than 2,300 gases sent when contract calls are made using the sending or transfer functions.

With the upgrade, archiving operations for specific customers should reach 200 gases. While it was expected that the initial update had been activated in November 2018, it was rejected after an update protocol on its Ropsten testnet was found to be faulty.

The Potential Reentrancy Attack

The last delay was made necessary by a relationship of ChainSecurity, a smart contract firm, which examined some of the properties of the planned update. According to the report, the proposed improvement Ethereum (EIP) 1283, if implemented, could create a loophole in the Ethereum network through which attackers can enter the network and steal user funds.

The attack was dubbed the "re-entry attack" because it presented hackers with the opportunity to access specific functions on networks in more than one occasion without warning users. Basically, an attacker could use this attack to steal funds from the net forever without ever being discovered.

Rollout Postponed

After receiving the notification of the attack, the developers of the Ethereum network, as well as the developers of some of the customers of the network, have decided to stop the update for the moment, while they were looking for solutions. A developer's call was scheduled for January 18th, with attendees including Ethereum co-creator Vitalik Buterin, Nick Johnson, Hudson Jameson and other key developers on the network.



The new update strategy

In addition to the announcement of the new launch date, it was also confirmed that the EIP 1283, which was found by ChainSecurity as defective, will not be published in the Constantinople version. Rather, the developers have confirmed that they will continue to test and remodel the EIP, to include it in another hard fork.

EIP 1283 was one of the five EIPs destined to be part of Constantinople. Now, the rigid fork will be released in two parts at the same time. The first update will include all five EIPS, with the inclusion of the EIP 1283 buggy. In the second update, the EIP 1283 will be specifically removed.

Peter Szilagyi, who initiated this update strategy, said it will help ensure that all networks that have already implemented the full suite of Constantinople are still able to correct the buggy EIP without having to roll back any blocks .

Szilágyi said: "My suggestion is to define two hard forks, Constantinople as it is currently and the correction of Constantinople that disables this function."
Several proposals have been presented concerning a new path to follow for the release of Constantinople.

A developer has suggested a "two-fork strategy to ensure compliance with the next planned rigid fork by the entire network, because some miners have used a false chain of Constantinople and will have to be renewed cleanly.

There was also a suggestion to come up with a different name for the fork. It did not come far, as the developers concluded that the work required was more important than the name given to things.

Source link