Japanese lens maker Tamron has announced the world’s first 17-70mm zoom with a continuous light intensity of 1: 2.8 and VC image stabilization for APS-C mirrorless system cameras. The 2.8 / 17-70mmDi III-A VC RXD (Model B070) with E-mount for Sony mirrorless system cameras is expected to be available in Switzerland in early 2021. It is the first fast 4.1x standard zoom for mirrorless system cameras with sensors APS-C. It offers a universal focal length range of 17mm to 70mm or 25.5 to 105mm compared to KB and a consistently high light intensity of 1: 2.8, as well as high image quality.
The zoom has an image stabilization system developed by Tamron, known as Vibration Compensation (VC for short), to prevent blur when taking photos. In the case of the 17-70mm, it uses artificial intelligence (AI) technology to ensure quiet images when shooting.
The Tamron 2.8 / 17-70mm Di III-A VC RXD (model B070) was developed for mirrorless cameras (Sony) with APS-C size image sensors.
The lens is extremely compact and lightweight. It is also protected from splashing water and has a front lens with a water-repellent fluorine coating. Like the other models in the “Tamron E” series, the 2.8 / 17-70mm also has a filter thread of 67mm, so that a polarization or gray filter will fit all these Tamron models. The lens is also compatible with Sony’s advanced camera features such as Fast Hybrid AF and Eye AF, making it an ideal choice for many everyday shooting situations. The Tamron 2.8 / 17-70mm was developed based on E-Mount specifications made available by Sony Corporation under license from Sony Corporation. Its high light intensity allows for creative sharpening and blur effects that usually only professional zooms offer.
The 2.8 / 17-70 mm is just 12 cm long and measures approximately 7.5 cm in diameter. Its weight is just over 500 grams.
Highlights of the product
1. World’s first * 4.1x fast standard zoom with 17-70mm focal length for APS-C cameras: The 17-70mm zoom of the new lens matches a focal length range from 25.5mm wide to 105mm telephoto, converted to 35mm format. It is the world’s first 4.1x zoom for APS-C mirrorless system cameras with a constant light intensity of 1: 2.8 (* compared to standard zoom interchangeable lenses with a light intensity of 1: 2.8 for system cameras mirrorless with APS-C sensor, according to research by Tamron in November 2020).
2. Excellent image quality: The 17-70mm optical structure comprises 16 elements in 12 groups, including two GM (Glass Molded Aspherical) lenses and a hybrid sphere. The arrangement of these special optical components ensures high resolution over the entire image area.
The front lens is coated with fluorine to prevent water stains. As with all Tamron lenses in this series, the filter thread is 67mm. The lens connection E is sealed against splashing water.
3. Advanced VC image stabilization with intelligent algorithm for video: The new standard zoom lens features Tamron’s proven “Vibration Compensation” (abbreviated VC) image stabilization. It uses its own processor to effectively compensate for camera shake and has been integrated with a newly developed advanced algorithm. Depending on the camera function, the VC image stabilizer works independently or in combination with the camera’s internal stabilization. During shooting, the algorithm based on artificial intelligence (AI) ensures extremely effective video stabilization, superior to conventional technologies.
4. Distance setting of only 19cm: The shortest adjustment distance of 2.8 / 17-70mm is only 19cm in the wide-angle position. With the new zoom lens, the subject can therefore be photographed from a shorter distance than traditional high-speed zoom lenses for APS-C cameras. With a telephoto focal length of 70mm, impressive close-ups are possible with a minimum distance of 39cm.
5. Compact and lightweight design: The 17-70mm weighs just 525g and is exceptionally handy with a length of just 119.3mm and a diameter of 74.6mm for a zoom lens with integrated image stabilization. Together with a Sony APS-C mirrorless camera, it forms a well-balanced unit with a high level of operational convenience.
6. Particularly quiet autofocus: Thanks to RXD (Rapid eXtra-silent) technology, the autofocus works without annoying focusing noises, ideal for video recording.
The zoom offers protection through gaskets and front lens coating
7. Splash-proof construction and fluorine coating: The splash-proof structure of the zoom and the fluorine coating on the front lens provide additional protection when taking photos in adverse weather conditions.
8. Compatible with advanced camera features: The standard zoom is compatible with advanced Sony camera features such as Fast Hybrid AF and Eye Detection AF. (The range of functions obviously depends on the camera model used – see the camera manual.)
Price and availability
The sale of the new Tamron AF 2.8 / 17-70mm Di III-A VC RXD (model B070) with “Sony E” mount in Switzerland is January 2021. The price (RRP) of the zoom is 1125 francs.
Tamron AF 2.8 / 17-70mm Di III-A VC RXD (Model B070) (product page, not yet available)
Tamron Europe (manufacturer’s website)
Tamron lenses are distributed in Switzerland by:
Perrot Image SA
Tel. 032332 79 79
|Tamron AF 2.8 / 17-70mm Di III-A VC RXD – specifications|
|International name||AF 17-70mm F / 2.8 Di III-A VC RXD|
|Focal length||17-70 mm (25.5-105 mm KB-Ä equivalent)|
|Opening blades||9 (circular opening *)|
|Point of view (diagonal)||79 ° 55 ′ – 23 ° 00 ′ (am APS-C-Sensor)|
|Optical construction||16 elements in 12 groups|
|Shorter setting distance||0.19 m (Weitwinkel), 0.39 m (Tele)|
|Maximum image scale||F / 4.8 (wide angle) / f / 5.2 (telephoto)|
|Image stabilization||Integrated (VC = Vibration Compensation) with AI-based algorithm|
|Filter size||Ø 67 mm|
|diameter||Ø 74.6 mm|
|Long (From front lens to bayonet)||119.3 mm|
|Accessories included||Lens hood, lens cap, bayonet lens cap|
|* The opening is almost circular when it is locked on two levels.|