Another shutdown in search of Julen's disappearance
| Reading time: 2 minutes
A "massive boulder" made of slate blocks the way for rescuers and delays the drilling, which hopefully can lead to the successful rescue of the missing Julen. But nobody knows if the two-year-old is still alive.
isAnother stop in the search for a boy who fell into a hole in Spain: In preparations for the drilling of a second vertical well, there are complications, said engineer Angel García Vidal of Friday before the journalists. His team met a "huge boulder" made of slate, which further delayed the work.
According to Vidal, the drilling was scheduled for Saturday night, with aid, machines and two exercises ready. In "favorable conditions", drilling could be completed within 15 hours. "You can be sure we'll reach Julen," the engineer said.
Because the well is too tight for an adult, rescuers try to dig a side pit and reach on it the deepest point where the child could be. A first attempt failed after two thirds of the route, because something blocked the device. Now more tunnels should be drilled to reach the child. There is hope that will live again if there is enough oxygen under the obstacle, authorities said.
Two-year-old Julen, according to his family, fell in the ditch near the Andalusian municipality of Totalán on Sunday while his parents had a picnic nearby. The 110-meter-deep exploration shaft with a diameter of only 25 centimeters had been punctured in the search for water in December, according to local media reports. As a result, the hole has not been fixed.
With a large contingent, the forces tried to find and recover the boy in a dramatic race against time. Gravel and earth, which Julen had apparently torn from his fall, block the hole in about 70 meters, and is too tight for the recovery forces. Nobody knows if Julen is still alive.